Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Challenge Begins

Today was the start of my dietary experiment and it went fairly well, in my opinion. Breakfast was pretty much the same as usual except for the grapefruit instead of a glass of orange juice. Oh, and the bit of cheese in my omelet with a spoonful of mustard for some additional flavor.

The Basic Ingredients


The mustard was a last minute decision, so it didn't make the family portrait.

The first thing I did was fry the chopped onions and garlic in a little olive oil after sprinkling with a bit of salt and pepper.

Onions And Garlic For Breakfast


After adding the eggs and cheese and the mustard I scrambled it all up and ended up with:

My Omelet


Quite tasty and plenty filling.

I headed to Trader Joe's to buy some peanut butter, $1.79 for 16 ounces, and some bananas, four at 19 cents each for a total of 76 cents. Grand total for the day, $2.55. Again, the peanut butter will probably last me all month and the bananas for four days, so it wasn't a bad deal.

My lunch was pretty simple, but quite tasty, a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Bar Man Enjoying His Lunch


If I had added bacon, even Elvis would have loved it.

For supper I put two of the chicken legs and thighs into my Ronco Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ. Then I made a cup of rice that I added some broccoli to at the end to steam them a bit. I also cooked up the beans that I had started soaking the night before and threw in a big carrot that I chopped up. I ended up with a very hearty dinner.

My Dinner


I have a spare chicken leg and thigh for tomorrow and a whole lot of leftover beans and rice. I have the feeling that tomorrow's dinner will look pretty much like today's and I am sure lunch will be the same. That is okay though, I have to see my accountant about my taxes and need to do some preparation beforehand, so eating leftovers will save me a bit of time.

Someone asked me to be sure and post my recipes, but I am afraid they won't be too fancy. Living within my budget puts some pretty severe restrictions on the spices I have available. So far it has been limited to salt and pepper. I suppose I could cheat a bit and use spices that I already have, but I don't know if that would be fair. You can get quite a bit of flavor out of onions and garlic, though.

No comments: