Wednesday, November 02, 2011

I Like Ike's

It is true, I haven't posted for awhile. Mostly just laziness and I will get back to my more regular posting soon. I still have some catch up to do with my trip to Russia. Man, that seems like it was ages ago. And I have some stuff from my trip to Minnesota, although not too much. And a few pictures of the Atlantic Antic.

Sad news, though. After my return from Minnesota I popped into Pete's Waterfront Ale House to chat with my good friend and the world's friendliest bartender, Gaid, only to find out that he and Pete's have parted ways. I haven't seen him since, although I know a few places to look.

My regular Friday and Saturday sessions at Pete's just won't be the same.

On a bit of a more upbeat note, here is one for the amazing coincidences file. On the way back home from my trip to Minnesota, where I visited friends not only in Minneapolis but also International Falls, Virginia, and Ely, I stopped in at Ike's in the Minneapolis airport for a pre-flight libation and meal.  I love this place and think it is one of the best airport restaurants I have ever been in. They have their main restaurant in downtown Minneapolis and I have eaten there as well.

Great Way To Relax Before A Plane Ride


Ike's has a retro look that tries to capture the ambience of the 50's and 60's. There is a story behind that, about a man named Ike who was never able to fulfill his dream of opening a restaurant and a son who did.

The food here is very good, although I have no idea what the Mysterious Chinese Woman ordered.

A Mystery Meal For The Mysterious One


Me, I came in for the steak, and they have a great one here at a reasonable, given the size and quality of the steak, price.

Now This Is A Piece Of Meat


Okay, and now for the coincidence part of it. I was chatting with our waitress, Karina. Somehow we started talking about where I had been in Minnesota and I mentioned International Falls, because that was where I spent most of my time. It turned out that she is from there. Now that is a small world because International Falls has a population of only a few thousand. When I told her I stayed with my friends Bruce and Donna she asked me if it was the Bruce who lived on Dove Island. When I said he was she said that her father had just gone golfing with Bruce the day before. Now that is a coincidence, is it not.

Karina, It Is A Small World, Indeed


If you ever have the opportunity to spend a little time in the Minneapolis Airport, Terminal One, you could do worse than to stop into Ike's. Even if it is only for a drink, because they have a mighty nice bar and it is a great place to have an well-made Martini or any other classic cocktail. They even have those Grassphoppers and Brandy Alexanders for an after dinner drink. Man, I used to love those back in the day.

3 comments:

Splunge said...

Welcome back. Very sad to hear about Gaid. I will force myself to continue to frequent the Waterfront, though. ;-)

Unknown said...

Minnesota is a fabulous state. I live in Michigan, which is very similar and has some of the same attributes. USA visa remains one of the most popular countries in the world as an immigration destination. I have spent a lot of time in Minnesota and I was pleasantly surprised that the weather was phenomenal.

Frank lois said...

Today restaurants have great importance in society.Instead of home made food, people prefer to enjoy food at restaurants, especially on weekends.At Dicksteabar, we offer you high quality food, drinks and music service.
bar Val d'Isère | meribel bar | val d'isere bar