Thursday, September 09, 2010

Back At The Zoo

Actually, still at the zoo.  A bit of a better connection here as we are docked in Dresden so I managed to upload a few more pictures.  And I didn't want you to tear your hair out wondering who made the poo poo.

You Probably Already Guessed


This is supposed to be one of the largest zoos in all of Europe with one of the largest collections of animals.  It isn't one of those huge zoos like the Bronx Zoo, but that is because they don't really have the animals in natural habitats.  Kind of a few steps up from the old animal-in-a-cage zoos like we used to have.

One of my favorites here was the fearsome pigeons.

Not Their Natural Habitat


I don't want to bore you with a bunch of pictures of animals.  I am sure you have all seen a giraffe before, and there weren't any really exotic species here.  But on the other hand, how could you not love this guy?

So Cute And Cuddly


We were in a bit of luck because it was a nice sunny afternoon and there was a little bandstand right in front of the bier garten in the zoo.  And isn't that civilized, a beer garden in the zoo.

The Bandstand


No oompah music though, but plenty of Abba.  And I don't care what anyone says, I like Abba.  Especially Dancing Queen.  And, of course, the beer makes it all go down better.

What A Lovely Sight


Bar Man And A Beer, Even A Lovlier Sight


And The Lovliest Sight Of All


We were thinking of getting a little bite to eat here, but somehow after I saw the kitchen I decided against it.

Just Saw Me Off Something


We took the subway to the zoo so, of course, I have to include a picture to show you how clean it is.  Not as new or as fancy as the one in Lisbon though.  And here you bought your ticket out of a machine and validated it before you got on the train.  No turnstiles or gates or anything, but I would guess the penalty for not having a validated ticket must be quite severe.  I didn't see anyone trying to beat the fare, which was 2.1 Euros or about $2.60 per trip.

Oblligatory Subway Shot


And that is it for now.  We are about to get our daily briefing on our next day's itinerary (I don't even remember where we stop next).  We stay docked here in Dresden overnight and we are very close to the center of town.  If I am feeling ambitious I might toddle into town to find someplace for a beer or two.  But I bought the Silver Service package for 50 Euros and that entitles me to free beer and wine and an open bar all day long.  Plus you get to select your wines from a more extended offering than those going steerage.

Right now I am sitting in the boat's lounge drinking an original Czech Budweiser and listening to the musical stylings of Vladimir on the piano while watching the Elbe flow by.  We are docked, but the Elbe and the beer are flowing.

2 comments:

Splunge said...

I guessed bear poop. Hey, there was a lot of bear stuff going on. I am vicariously enjoying your trip, thanks from all the stay-at-homes.

Bar Man said...

The pleasure is all mine. But really - Allen Funt, elephant. We won't even get into Darth Vader's brother, Ali. Get it, Ali Vader, elevator. I've got a million of them.

How about after the Civil War when General Lee was giving a speech. Someone in the crowd asked who he was and was told "General Lee speaking." The guy said "Can't you be more specific."