Tuesday, August 11, 2009

To The Aquarium, And Stuff

We decided to visit the aquarium on Saturday. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you there and to a nearby shopping mall. We passed on the mall, however.

Right across from where we caught the shuttle bus, about a block from our hotel, was another trompe l'oeil facade. The building is right across the street from a hospital so it depicts a medical building of some kind or another. Again, being from New York, the lack of grafitti defacing this was somewhat amazing.

Nary A Moustache


Our Free Shuttle Bus


It was a nice sunny day so, as you might expect, the aquarium was pretty crowded.

And Here We Are


It was a pretty small aquarium, all things considered. But then I may be a bit spoiled by the one in Coney Island. They did have nice landscaping though.

Pretty Flowers


A Nice Waterfall


After a few hours we headed back to town and were happy to see that Quebec City was being overrun by the indigenous peoples.

No Cause For Alarm, Just Move Along


We stopped in a nice little restaurant for our lunch.


La Cavour


I was not overly hungry so I settled for some pate and a bowl of French onion soup. Both very good.

A Plate Of Pate


Supping On Soup


The Mysterious Chinese Woman was feeling a bit more peckish so she had the Coq au Vin.

A Mighty Meal


We shared a nice desert, a kind of an apple muffin topped with a caramel sauce.

A Fitting End


And then it was off to the fireworks. This was the Canadian display and the theme was diamonds with all of the appropriate music: Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Shine On You Crazy Diamond... Well, you get the picture.





I may be a bit biased, but I would have to say that the Fourth Of July fireworks in New York that are put on by the Grucci family of Long Island are better. That is not to say that the ones here are not good, but just not quite as good. In my humble opinioin.

On Sunday we walked to another little neighborhood full of restaurants and shops. The Mysterious Chinese Woman had to go in and see this chocolate shop and kind of a museum.

How Sweet


Chocolate Serving Things


A Chocolate Statue


This neat looking little house was actually a place that sold stuff for making beer and wine. Unfortunately it was closed. Not that I was planning on hauling around a sack of barley or anything, though.

Teach A Man To Make A Beer...


We found a nice restaurant with a porch out front set up for dining, so this is where we decided to have our Sunday dinner.

How Romantic


Sausage And Sauerkraut For The Little Lady


Duck Confit For Me


We shared, though, swapping plates when we were half done.

I had an after dinner coffee and it was far and away the best I have had since I have been here. Not that the coffee tends to be bad, it was just that this was most excellent. I was told that they were known for their coffee and they also sold sold it, ground or whole beans.

I Had To Buy A Bag


Right across the street was an Irish Pub, so that was a good place to stop for a post-dinner beer.

Well, It Was Right There


Looking Pleased With Myself


I am guessing that St. Patricks Day is pretty big here.

Just A Guess


It was a long walk back to the hotel, so one last beer was in order at another of my favorite little places.

Easy To Settle In


I bought the New York Times and thought it was awfully thin for a Sunday paper. I should have looked more closely, it was the Friday edition. Oh well, nothing seems to be happening anyway.

At Least I Look Well Informed


And that was about all for the day except to stop in at Lostradamus and say goodnight to my now good friend Bernard.

Bernard The Bartender


That is it for now. Last night we went back to the rabbit restaurant, so I will post about that tomorrow. I think the Mysterious Chinese Woman has plans to go to some kind of a museum today but it might rain, so we shall see.

No comments: