Friday, January 21, 2011

Best Undiscovered Sauces

The latest issue of Details magazine had a section on peppers and hot sauces and I was happy to see that the Waterfront Ale House's Whisky Barrel Hot Sauce made their short-list of America's Best Undiscovered Sauces.

Undiscovered, Until Now


The owner of the Waterfront Ale House, Sam, has always tried to have good food and great beers at his places.  When he first opened up his place on Atlantic Avenue about 20 years ago (and across the street from where it is now) Tim Stark, a farmer who raises heirloom tomatoes and peppers, sold chile plants in front of the bar during the Atlantic Antic.

Sam had the bright idea of buying up all of his peppers, which included chocolate Scotch Bonnets, Thai chiles, bird peppers, and poblamos to make his own hotsauce.  He blends his sauces in the basement of the bar and then ages them in old oak whisky barrels that he got from friends at San Francisco's Anchor Steam Brewing Company.  The sauce is aged in these barrels for two years.  And let me tell you, it is good and HOT!!! 

Coincidentally, I will be heading to the Waterfront Ale House this afternoon for a few beers and dinner.  I also want to talk to Gaid, the world's friendliest bartender, to see if I can get some advice about using my Boston shaker.  I haven't been to the Waterfront Ale House for awhile (too many holiday and Jets parties).  The last time I was there Gaid said he was going to give up smoking.  It will be interesting to see if he has and, if he has, if he is still the world's friendliest bartender.

No comments: