Friday, July 24, 2009

Who'd Of Thunk

I still have to laugh at the interesting turns life takes. When I bought my place in Downtown Brooklyn it was a bit of a seedy neighborhood. Atlantic Avenue wasn't someplace you felt comfortable walking at night, especially to the east. Smith Street was pretty much all bodegas and social clubs. The area that is now Dumbo was positively desolate after dark. And now, tour buses pass by my building.

And Here Is Where Bar Man Lives


Of course I also lived at the Gramercy Park Hotel for almost a year when I first moved to New York and drank at the semi-dive bar there where the hookers used to take their breaks and ply their trade. Once I ordered a rum and coke and jokingly asked the bartender to leave the bottle. And he did. Now that bar is the Rose Bar and you need a reservation to get a drink.

No comments: