Monday, May 18, 2009

Crumby Coney Island Day

Man, are we ever going to get a spring here in the Northeast? It is almost noon and it is 54 F here in Brooklyn. Aside from a couple of really hot days a couple of weeks ago this has just been a miserable spring. Saturday, when I headed out to Coney Island, was typical; chilly and overcast, really overcast.

Can You Say Gloomy?


And, although this was supposed to be the "Grand Opening" of Coney Island, the place was not exactly crowded.

Where Is Everybody?


For the life of me, I don't know why they took the rocket down from the roof of this place. It looked pretty barren without it.

Something's Missing


I think the gloomy spring has driven this gal to drink the harder stuff. I am pretty sure she was holding a mug of rootbeer last year.

And Beer Is A Gateway Beverage


I was actually a bit worried that Ruby's wouldn't be open. An open air bar on a damp and chilly day isn't likely to do a real big business. I was relieved to see that my worries were for nothing.

Open For Business


Of course there wasn't anyone in the place when I got there except the bartender, who just graduated from college and is now a CPA.

Can't Remember His Name, Though


I just settled in for a beer and assured him that more people would be showing up soon.

Breakfast Of Champions


Actually, it was the Mysterious Chinese Woman who had the breakfast of champions, a Ruby's Hot Dog.

Better Than Oatmeal


After a bit a hardcore regular stopped by for his breakfast, so now we were three.

A Fourth And We Could Play Bridge


It wasn't too long before the rest of the crew arrived, and then the party began.

Let The Good Times Roll


There is, of course, more to this story so be sure to check back later for the rest.

No comments: