Thursday, September 04, 2008

Popping In At Pete's

Actually, the name of this place is Waterfront Ale House. The owner and manager is named Sam. And yet I have always called it Pete's. Maybe it has something to do with their awnings.

So Confusing


Ah well, maybe some day Sam will explain the awnings to me. I just popped in to thank him for the nifty new tee-shirts he gave me. I like the orange ones, but the new brown ones are, well, they are brown. I think it goes really well with my 1946 New York Knicks baseball hate (oops, Freudian slip, I meant hat) though.

Nothing Says Thank You Like Having A Beer


With me is Leigh Ann, the bartender. A very friendly person. In fact she invited me back to her place to have a beer with her.

Hmm, Not Exactly What I Expected


I guess her place really is behind the bar, and mine is usually on the other side. The free popcorn, always fresh, always hot, went well with the beer, but it was lunch time so the Mysterious Chinese Woman and I moved to the tables for a light repast. Actually, it wasn't all that light.

I had a hamburger with Cheddar cheese and a thick slice of raw onion. It came with a generous helping of delicious French fries and I had a smoked beer to go with it. Also a shot of Buffalo Trace bourbon. Made for a nice combo.

Much Better Than Lunch With Casey


For those of you who may not know, I would guess that would be most of you, there used to be a kid's television program in Minneapolis called "Lunch With Casey." In grade school you went home for lunch and to watch this program, hosted by Casey Jones and his pal Roundhouse Rodney (sounds like he should have been a professional boxer). I don't remember much except there were cartoons and at some point Casey and Roundhouse brought out their lunch boxes and had lunch while explaining what they were having and why it was good for you. Usually, if memory serves me, it was a sandwich of some kind, some fruit, maybe soup, and the inevitable glass of milk that always gave me flatulence.

The Mysterious Chinese Woman opted for a half order of ribs with extra coleslaw instead of more French fries. I really like the coleslaw here, made with a touch of wasabi to clear your nose. Of course The Mysterious Chinese Woman had to embarrass me by demurely eating her ribs with a knife and fork.

You Can't Take Her Anyplace


The ribs were delicious, as always. Even though she only got a half-order there were plenty and I managed to have four of them later in the evening in lieu of dinner. This might not be the first place you think of when you think of going out for barbecue, but it probably should be.

Waterfront Ale House on Urbanspoon

I have a lot of pictures and stuff to post about my day and night at Coney Island for the Rockabilly Festival and the Burlesque/Sideshow. I will try to get to them tomorrow, but here is a preview. As you can imagine, we had a great time.

Elvis Was No Angel, And Apparently Still Isn't

No comments: