Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A Short Stroll

It is a bit chilly today and quite damp. I have put in a few good days so I thought I would take it easy today and just do a short stroll around my neighborhood. Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to almost 70 so I will plan on a longer day back in Manhattan.

60) Paradisus-121

This place just opened about a week ago and was formerly Las Tres Palmas. It is on 121 Livingston just off Adams, which is the main drag if you drive into Brooklyn over the Brooklyn Bridge. By the time you go up another block to where I live Adams has changed its name to Boerum. This, as you can imagine, is a source of confusion to many people coming into the neighborhood for the first time.

The place has been newly remodeled and has a nice bar in front with a sofa by the windows where you can sit and have a drink. They still have a Cuban/Puerto Rican style menu, but the prices have jumped quite a bit. But now there are tableclothes, so I guess it is worth it.

I had a Dewars and soda.

61) Kevin Barry's

About a block away on Willoughby between Jay and Lawrence, this is a nice Irish bar with quite a lunch crowd. I wonder what the place is like at night. Just two televisons that I could see and they were both tuned to news.

I had a Guiness

62) K-B's 140 Club

Just around the corner on Lawrence was this place, and I would say it was an Irish bar, except I was the only white guy in the place. Guess it was more of a Black Irish bar. Pleasant enough bartender, but they had Maury on the television and the crowd, such that it was, was way too into it. The topic was women who were accusing men of fathering their babies and then the DNA results to establish paternity were presented. Whew, what a concept.

A fellow that I used to drink with at a Chinese restuarant that had a bar in the back that has since closed came in so I chatted with him for awhile about the "old days."

I had a Guiness

Just 938 bars to go.