Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Coney Closings, A Sad, Sad Day

My heart dropped when I read about the proposed closings along Coney Island's famed boardwalk.  Among the businesses that will not have their lease renewed and have two weeks to clear out is my beloved Ruby's.

Best Beach Dive Bar In The World


With A Beach View


Ah, the many memories that I have of Ruby's.  And when I think of all the things I can't remember it makes me even more morose.

I Kind Of Remember This


Ruby's was welcoming in all kinds of weather.

Rain Or Shine, Ruby's All The Time


Plus you could always meet some disreputable character to spend some time with at Ruby's.

Sigh, It Had To Be A Yankees Fan


And, of course, you always could count on the Mysterious Chinese Woman showing up.

Did Someone Say Food?


Now There Are Only 20


And not just Ruby's is going, my next favorite bar on the Boardwalk.  Cha Cha's, is going as well.

Now This Is Just Cruel


And Shoot The Freak will be going too.

Not Quite As Big Of A Loss


Even Beer Island, one of the coolest recent additions to Coney Island, is going to go.

Have They No Mercy?


I will have to visit next year just to see what destruction that has been wroght by the decisions to close all of these places. I can guarantee you, it won't be good. Certainly not as good as it used to be.

Tomorrow I will post about a great bar that I visited while I was in Minneapolis.  Well, two, actually.  But mostly about one.

2 comments:

Splunge said...

Indeed. Just read this in the Daily News this morning. What a way to start the day. It's a crime.

Bar Man said...

I totally agree.