Friday, June 25, 2010

No More CNN

Good Lord, CNN has been going down hill for a long time, but I thought they were starting to improve when they got rid of Lou Dobbs after his program became more of an anti-immigration rant than a bonafide news program.

Then today I turn on their morning news show only to be presented with a lengthy promo for a future piece by Soledad Obrien about, well, this is a bit confusing.  A gay couple, two men, who want to have a baby and have found a woman who is willling to donate her eggs so they can fulfill their dream.  I guess there must be a surrogate mother somewhere in the mix.

Now I don't object to the subject matter of Gary And Tony Have A Baby, and if Soledad O'brien wants to tell the story of "a gay couple's journey to have a baby," so be it.  I probably won''t be tuning in though because the subject matter is of little interest to me.  Oh, and by the way, I am sure after all of the coverage their child will, of course, have a perfectly "normal" life.  Anyone see a reality show in the works?

What I do object to is a large part of CNN's morning news show being a Soledad O'Brien interview (repeated over and over) with the couple.  The interview was obviously just being used just to promote the show at the expense of real news.  CNN's morning show used to be one of my favorite news shows to watch, but now it has devolved into something considerably less, in my opinion.

Then, in the What can they possibly be thinking? department, CNN has decided that it would be a good idea to have Elliot Spitzer co-host an evening program.  You might remember Elliot Spitzer, he resigned as Governor of New York as a result of his escapades with a prostitute coming to light and then being threatened with impeachment.  Why CNN thinks this is some kind of a positive addition to their staff is beyond me, but I can assure you that I will not be watching this program, which airs during prime time.

I might still tune into The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.  I can never get enough of Jack Cafferty.  But I can watch that on CNN's International station which is much better.  And I love Richard Quest on Quest Means Business.

No comments: