Thursday, May 14, 2009

An Amazingly Good Drink

I don't usually blow my own horn about drink concoctions. I will, on occasion, share my opinion about how a drink should be made. My proclivity for orange bitters in my Manhattan, for example. But this one I just came up with tonight, and I am not sure what inspired me. Perhaps a lack of ingredients and a desire for something lighter than a stiff one.

Anyway, some time ago my friend Todd, who manages my local liquor store, suggested that I try a bottle of Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka. Now I know what you are thinking, organic what? But, if you know Todd you will know he never steers you wrong. And he knew that I liked Hendrick's Gin and that, when I used it in a martini, I added a slice of cucumber. When Todd talks, I listen.

I had this sitting around for awhile though, not quite sure what to do with it. Then, out of the blue, inspiration struck.

The Ingredients


In a fourteen ounce glass I added three ounces of the Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka, two dashes of Fee Brothers Orange Bitters, three ice-cubes, and grapefruit juice. Give it a quick stir or, as I do, just poke the ice-cubes a few times.

Voila


This is one dynamite drink, in my opinion. The cucumber comes through just a bit and mingles nicely with the grapefruit juice. The orange bitters brings it all together. Refreshing, but with a bite. Move the amount of the vodka up or down depending upon your own taste. I found that three ounces was just right.

Now all I need is a name for this drink. Suggestions are welcome.

No comments: