Saturday, December 11, 2010

Nothing Says Dim Sum Like Chicken Feet

A couple of friends, Dave and Carol, who I met on the Berlin to Prague river cruise, were in town for a couple of days and wanted to meet the Mysterious Chinese Woman and me for dim sum in Chinatown.  They were with friends of their's from Britain.

Now, before we left to meet them, the Mysterious Chinese Woman said "Don't order any chicken feet, it will gross them out."  Well what, aside from the tripe, that I was also warned not to order, do you think they wanted to try.  By "they" I mean Dave and Grahm.  Their wives wanted no part of these tasty dishes.

Er, Just How Do You Eat These?


Just Push It In And Spit Out What You Can't Chew


We actually ordered a second helping of the chicken feet because they are prepared in two different styles.  It just goes to show, you shouldn't make assumptions about what people may or may not like.

A surprisingly warm day here in New York after a couple of really chilly ones.  I would head to the Waterfront Ale House but I am trying to lose a few pounds before I hit the beaches in Mexico, so that means cutting back on my beer consumption.  On top of that, I think I ate too much at dim sum so I am stuffed.  I probably should have walked home across the Brooklyn Bridge, but I was too lazy so I just took the subway.

They have installed new "informational" signs at the Brooklyn Bridge subway station, the ones that tell you how long before the next train arrives.  Of course the times they show have nothing to do with the time the trains actually arrive.  The sign said it would be 23 minutes before the train back to Brooklyn would arrive and it showed up with 21 minutes still showing on the sign.  It is amazing how the same type of signs seem to work to the minute in the subways in Europe and Hong Kong.  I have heard those signs also work in other cities in the United States.  Oh well, New York is something else altogether.  Most of the time the elevators and escalators don't work here either.

I still have a few more pictures from Las Vegas and I will try to get them up either tomorrow or Monday, so stay tuned.  Maybe not until Monday, because I will be watching football tomorrow.  The Giants/Vikings game should be interesting on a number of levels. It will also be interesting to see whether the Jets can regroup after their horrible showing against the Patriots, or if they have fallen apart completely.  I root for the Jets, but I have been saying all along that they have been more lucky than good this year.  Given the way the Patriots scored against them it probably didn't matter much, but this was their third loss where they haven't been able to score a single touchdown.  And Sanchez is starting to throw interceptions like Favre.

On the bright side, the Knicks are looking good.  I am reading "Life" by Keith Richards and next on my list is "Rockin' Steady: A Guide to Basketball and Cool" by Walt Frazier.  I also have an interesting looking book, "Travels with Barley: A Journey Through Beer Culture In America" by Ken Wells (a gift from my friend Bruce) and "The Castle in Transylvania" by Jules Verne (a gift from my brother-in-law Jim) in my Queue.  A great time of year to just curl up on the couch with a good book.

2 comments:

Splunge said...

My son, who knows football, visited yesterday. He says that he almost feels sorry for Miami, after the New England loss. His feeling is that the Jets are going to pound them to get their frustrations out. I hope he's right.

Bar Man said...

Given that over the past several years the Jets have a history of beating Miami, I certainly hope that you are right