Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another Jets Rant

Now don't get me wrong, I am still a Jets fan.  It is the Knicks that I have totally turned my back on.  However, as many of you know, I gave up my Jets season tickets, as did about another dozen of my fellow-tailgaters, when we were going to be charged $15,000 a seat for the new Personal Seating Licenses.  This would be in addition to the tickets themselves going up 75% from $80 to $140.  And, of course, I wasn't happy with the whole Brett Favre deal that worked out so well for them that they missed the playoffs while the Dolphins, behind Chad Pennington, made it in, but that was just a bump in the road.  It was, quite frankly, the money.  Think what $45,000 could buy you other than the right to buy three season tickets at $1,400 each.

Sales have been so poor after the PSL and ticket price increases that last month there were still 9,000 unsold PSLs.  As a result the Jets slashed the prices by up to 50%.  There are still over 2,000 unsold PSLs, however, and if they aren't sold before the September 13th opener against the Ravens there will be a local television blackout.

Ain't greed a wonderful thing.

And, as I predicted, the Knicks did get rid of their best long-term player, David Lee.  He was part of a multiple-player multiple-team trade that sent him to the Warriors.  At least Lee did okay for himself, signing a six-year $80 million contract.

Later today I will post about one of the most interesting places I have ever visited, Quinta da Regaleira.  It is like a huge set for some kind of a spooky horror movie, complete with an underground crypt, tunnels and grottos, sprawling grounds and winding paths and plenty of other pretty weird stuff.  We actually went back two times there was so much to see.  The second time we took flashlights.

It Ain't Disneyland

No comments: