Tuesday, September 13, 2005

As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs

778) Bruce's Brewpub

Well, you can't beat this one for its location, right downstairs from where I am sleeping. Once, when I was but a wee Bar Lad, I rented a room above a bar for awhile. That was an interesting experience, believe me. The crowd at this place is a lot friendlier though.

It isn't every day that you visit a brewpub where you actually get to participate in producing the next batch of beer.

Bar Man Working On A Batch Of Smoked Lager


Even the Mysterious Chinese Woman got into the act.

The Mysterious Chinese Woman Adding A Secret Ingredient


Bruce's Brewpub has just a small wooden bar with a narrow wooden foot rest and but two barstools. There is enough room for about four people to huddle around it though if you are all friends. The bar back is largely beer making equipment with an industrial-sized sink against the back wall. Above the sink are windows and next to them is a wooden shelf with a collection of shot glasses and stir sticks. Through the sliding glass doors next to the sink you get a nice view of Rainy Lake, although the view is better if you step through them and take a chair on the deck. Above the doors is a collection of old fishing lures.

To the left of the bar is a refrigerator containing cold beer and who knows what all else. A refrigerator on the deck holds even more beer, both that made in the brewpub and a decent selection of domestic and imported bottled beers as well. Next to the refrigerator inside is a pink stove used in preparing both beer and bar grub. Sitting behind the bar is a large carved wooden bald eagle and a statue of W.C. Fields holding a deck of cards sits on top of the bar.

Bar Man Having A Beer Poured By Bruce, Proprietor And Bartender


Behind the bar and to the right is a highboy with a large, and I do mean large, collection of mugs and drinking glasses. Next to that is a large crock and a couple of five gallon jugs with soon to be beer bubbling away. Next to the highboy is a light hanging against the wall that features a small statue of a greek goddess surrounded by strings that have drops of oil running down them simulating rain.

There is a small putting green if you are inclined to test your skills and a full size pool table. You don't see many bars that have one of those. On one wall is a mounted sailfish, and this is a real one too, not just a fiberglass replica. On the back wall, next to the bathroom, is mounted a small half-barrel that opens to reveal a small supply of liquor and some shot glasses. I guess if you are at the far end of the pool table and need a shot to steady your nerves you can get one from here. Above the pool table is a nice antique style light hanging from the ceiling.

Comfortable chairs are strewn about the place against the walls and there is an old church pew underneath the swordfish. There is ample seating out on the deck as well, a couple of seats being old grade-school desks. There is a table out there too so you can sit and enjoy the view of the lake until the mousquitos come out to get you.

The floor immediately surrounding the bar and the area behind it is light gray tile. The rest of the floor is polished wood with a couple of small rugs, one on each side of the pool table. One features a loon, the Minnesota state bird, and the other has a golf motif. There are windows on the wall opposite the sword fish and the sills are lined with shot glasses, salt and pepper shakers, and tiny bottles of old liquor. A couple of old high-school pennants hang on the wall including one from my old high-school, Patrick Henry. The walls are white plaster and the ceiling is white stucco with embedded "diamond dust" that twnkles like little stars. Spot lights illuminate the bar.

All kinds of other paraphenalia can be found in here as well, everything from old metal banks to little silver cocktail forks in the shape of golf clubs sitting in a small silver golf bag. The more you look, the more you will see.

Altogether a most pleasant place, and how many brewpubs let the customers help determine what the next batch of beer will be, let alone allow them to contribute to it being made. It is a great place to hang out with friends and it certainly helps if you are friends with the owner.

Cubby, Chris, Bruce, Bar Man, and Jon Enjoying A Brew


The beer of the day was a Vienna Sex Lager, and who was I to argue. It was quite good with a nice head. Another slow day with just this one bar hit making 778 for the year and leaving 222 to go. Tomorrow I hope to do a bit better.

31 comments:

Best Buy said...

Decent page, enjoyed it a lot, I can never get enough of golf equipment rating if you can't either check out my site golf equipment rating

Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',

Neil

Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

used-callaway-girl said...

not a bad blog, was looking for used golf equipment but found this...lol.. oh well... if u wanna know more about used golf equipment then check ut my blog too ;)

Best Buy said...

Great stuff on golf equipment trend and I even bookmarked you! Of course I do have a similar page about golf equipment trend

hassan said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog here! I have bookmarked your blog and will make sure to visit regularly.

Please check my FREE Beginners Guide To Golf eBook if you get some time. I put my heart and soul into it and I'm sure you'll find it very useful :)

Happy blogging...golfing...

Rachel said...

Hi 1000 Bars your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on golf repair equipment I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about golf repair equipment . Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at golf repair equipment . You never know you may find some good deals!

cmeltifa said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding custom golf equipment and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) 1000 Bars your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on custom golf equipment was way off when compared to As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for custom golf equipment for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

Rachel said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding golf equipment retailer and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) 1000 Bars your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on golf equipment retailer was way off when compared to As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for golf equipment retailer for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

Rachel said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding golf equipment testing and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) 1000 Bars your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on golf equipment testing was way off when compared to As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for golf equipment testing for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

cmeltifa said...

Hi 1000 Bars your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on golf equipment trend I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about golf equipment trend. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at golf equipment trend. You never know you may find some good deals!

Las Vegas Night Club VIP Passes said...

Hello from Las Vegas. I was doing research on bartending supply and came across your site 1000 Bars. The title As Easy As Falling Down The Stairs attracked me. This is good reading, I'll pass it on to my girlfriend. She likes this kind of stuff. If you or any of your readers can help or offer information on bartending supply let me know. Glad I ran into your inspiration. I like to read blogs for creative ideas and themes. I get a lot of good ideas for acting. Thanks again for your time. Keep it up.

cmeltifa said...

Hello! This is a great blog. I just got back home from shopping with the wife and the kids and decided to log on and do some web surfing.(needed a break if you know what I mean) I came across your blog and really enjoyed it. Not many people keep their blogs up to date and most of the blogs I do fine are not even relevant to the blog topic. I bookmarked your blog for future reference.
Anyways keep up the great work and if you don�t mind I will forward your blog off to a few of my buddies. Thanks a bunch!golf fitness equipment

mike said...

Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on golf equipment supply retail and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though your blog is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at golf equipment supply retail. If you have the energy swing by http://www.golf-equipment-deals.com. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!

Paul Adams said...

I was searching blogs,and I found your site.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
on the job training
It pretty much covers on the job training related issues.
Have a good day!

Rachel said...

All I can say is wow what a great job! The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well actually her friends house) and I needed a big break. I am working on a business project right now that is based on dog equipment golf. I have literally been on-line for 4-5 hours doing research. Even though your blog really isn�t on the same page as dog equipment golf I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at http://www.golf-equipment-deals.com. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

Dale said...

Hi there, you have a really useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on golf supply wholesale I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for golf supply wholesale. Thanks for the post.

D.C. Bowns said...

Hi there! While out blog surfing today for specific info on equipment golf magazine, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base...funny how we end up finding things while we surf. Should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about equipment golf magazine.

D.C. Bowns said...

Hi there...nice blog. When I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on club equipment golf making I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. Should you ever need information on club equipment golf making then drop by the site above and check it out.

D.C. Bowns said...

Hello! Have you seen any ads or information on buy equipment golf used? One day I will find what I am looking for on the first try. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for buy equipment golf used. Thanks for the post.

D.C. Bowns said...

What are these blogs all about anyway? I was surfing looking for bag club equipment golf golf golf when I ended up here. Back to the relentless searching for bag club equipment golf golf golf.

Greg said...

http://2theguide.comdo it yourself repair and do it yourself repair Ideas for Home Construction projects. If you own a home and need to work on do it yourself repair then al I want to say is Yea.... I wood love to let you in on a secret about home repairs... People ask me all the time about do it yourself repair and they want to know simple ways to solve ther problems ...well I have the answers and If you go to http://2theguide.com do it yourself repair and go through the site you will find what you are looking for... what can I say butt get going ...

Greg said...

Hello friendly Blogers if you are thinking about stairs and stairs Ideas for Home Construction projects. If you own a home and need to work on stairs then al I want to say is Yea.... I wood love to let you in on a secret about home repairs... People ask me all the time about stairs and they want to know simple ways to solve ther problems ...well I have the answers and If you go to http://stairs444.com stairs and go through the site you will find what you are looking for... what can I say butt get going ...

David said...

Have you seen any information on golf supply turf ? I just have not had the best results when blog surfing today. Anywho back to my endless search for golf supply turf .

David said...

Have you seen any information on buy equipment golf used ? I just have not had the best results when blog surfing today. Anywho back to my endless search for buy equipment golf used .

UTEKRYNK said...

Personalized Shot Glass is a topic I cover on my site. Your readers might be interested in checking it out further.

All about Golf said...

Hi Thanks for your interesting blog. I also have a blog/site, covering vw golf related stuff. Feel free to visit my vw golf site.

natan05 said...

Ever since I was a little boy, I had a thing for bright and colorfullights. It is funny, as you get older, so do your toys.

Thanks for the info.

wholesale glow sticks australia

Philip Said said...

Hi blogger:)

Sometimes I meet something very interesting, and I usually spend a couple of time exploring it--It happened again today, now in here with your blog! Cool stuff.

Regards,
make extra money

answer-man said...

Hello just stopped by to view your blog and to let all interested know I am offering free plumbing repair information and safety tips for California residents and all others interested. If you are not interested then please excuse us and please disregard this comment.

For Plumbing Press Release and Free Plumbing Repair Information please feel free and stop by and read and take advantage of our blog info or viist **A-Affordableplumbing.Com** Thank you and have a great day.

superclosetnerd said...

Cleaning up old bookmarks... this site is a lot different than I remember! Too much golf, to little time. perfect golf swing