Sunday, June 12, 2005

Tractor Parade In Callicoon

A beautiful sunny Sunday in Callicoon. Started the day off at a pancake breakfast hosted by the Volunteer Fire Department. Pancakes, sausages, eggs any way you liked them, coffee and orange juice. Then we all headed off to the 9th Annual Callicoon Tractor Parade. It was a blast. We had great seats, a cooler of beers, and more tractors then you are ever likely to see unless you are at a tractor parade.



After the parade was over I was lured to a nearby bar by the star reporter for the Sullivan County Democrat for an interview.

557) Matthew’s On Main



A classic small town bar on, you guessed it, Main Street, in Callicoon. The exact address is 19 Lower Main Street, so don’t get it confused with places on Upper Main Street. I will be covering a couple of those on another visit. The bar in here is a beige colored wood with green tiles on top and the oh so important brass rail. There are neat looking brass lights hanging overhead from the white painted tin ceiling. Behind the bar is a mosaic of a sun, a comet, and the moon. The floor was wood. There were little tractor lights decorating the place special for the parade. A nice touch I thought. A large Coal sign dominated one wall and there was also an old Barnum and Baily poster on the other wall. A large baseball trophy for the bar sponsored team sat in a place of honor up front by the window. The place was packed with people coming in for a cool one after the parade. Bar Man didn’t have time to take many notes because he was being mercilessly grilled by the aggressive reporter who kept plying him with alcohol. Kathy, you should be ashamed of yourself.



I had a Brooklyn Lager in a red plastic cup and a shot of Peach vodka out of a shot glass.

One more down bringing the total to 557 leaving 443 to go.

3 comments:

Bar Man said...

Callicoon is a fun place to visit and I have very good friends that live up there. Besides, they don't have tractor parades here in Brooklyn, and nothing gets Bar Man's blood pumping like hearing the roar of a classic Farmall as it creeps along.

Home Site said...

1000 Bars ,Just read your blog Tractor Parade In Callicoon Winter time and heating the home .... I loss power for 3 days about a month ago and I decided to get off the grid somewhat. Since to heating is gone thru the roof , with the high cost of energy I have started a site about Fireplace Insert .I purchased a wood burning stove myself ,but I have found the installation much more a pain then I could of every thought.The whole Fireplace Insert subject fit in I believe with your blog,sorry if if I wrote too much. I shall return !!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.