Monday, June 13, 2005

My Inspiration


People often, or at least once or twice, ask Bar Man what inspired you to undertake this quest, this search for, well, for who knows what. I have looked deep into my soul, or at least deep into a pint of beer, seeking the answer. Was it Ray Milland in "Lost Weekend"? No, absolutely not, although it might have been his performance in "Frogs." Was it Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas"? Again, no. I almost stopped drinking after watchng that movie. Was it Drinky Crow in the "Village Voice"? Well, possibly.

But no, true inspiration came from the one person, Steve Buscemi, who was in the film, "Fargo," that inspired my tee-shirt and the film that he wrote, directed, and starred in, the film that changed my life, "Trees Lounge."



It is that little line in the above picture, "A story about one man's search...for who knows what?" that provided the impetus. Or at least planted that small seed which was then watered by, well we all know what it was watered by.

Here's to you Steve, I can never thank you enough. If they ever make a movie of my odyssey only you, or maybe Mickey Rourke, could do me justice. Perhaps you could play me at the begining and Mickey could play me at the end.

7 comments:

Sultan Saini said...

Gonna have to check out that movie. I dig Steve too.

450 to go! Woot!

Chad said...

Hey Bar Man. Love the site, keep on truckin'! Buscemi is one of my favorite actors and Trees Lounge is one of my favorite movies. I actually just saw him on Friday night walking down 7th avenue in Park Slope. Hopefully I'll see you around soon too!

Cheers,

Chad

www.sdtonyc.blogspot.com

josh williams said...

We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic
Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it
I don’t have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
Then magnificently we will float into the mystic
And when that fog horn blows you know I will be coming home
And when thst fog horn whistle blows I got to hear it
I don’t have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And together we will float into the mystic
Come on girl...

Uulargh Of The Prairie said...

Barman ... What a coincidence, I too was once inspired to a quest by the film "Trees Lounge." Unfortunately, I'm now bound by a court order to stay 150 ft. from all ice cream/frozen treat trucks. Hope it works out better for you. My wife, my kids and I enjoy your 'blog daily. Thanks.

josh williams said...

I'll keep an eye out for this movie in the interim I will take inspiration from you. My idea is to try to count to 1,000. This I will do in private because I lack the confidence and intrepid character to go public with something that I could quite possibly fail in achieving. I go now and start counting, jeez I have to remember the names of all those numbers, my head swims.

Bar Man said...

Josh, you are a very funny fellow.

josh williams said...

Wow ! Thank you Dan (Bar Man) I am at a loss for...Cool!