Friday, July 24, 2009

National Tequila Day

I was just informed by my friend Bob (he is always looking out for me) that today is National Tequila Day here in the United States. This could be serious.

The perfect Margarita is extremely simple to make and simply delicious:

3 parts tequila
2 parts Cointreau
1 part fresh squeezed lime juice (no mix and no sugar, fresh squeezed only)

Combine all the ingredients in a shaker with ice cubes, and shake like mad. Strain into a cocktail glass garnished with a salted rim (optional).

I prefer a good Tequila blanco (or silver), but be sure it is good and 100% blue agave. A reposado will work as well, but save the anejo for sipping.

By law tequila only needs 51% of the fermented sugars to come from blue agave. These are labeled mixto, but avoid them at all costs. No self respecting Mexican would ever drink this and it is almost all shipped to the United States or used in frozen margaritas that are sold to tourists in Mexico and college students here. Or sometimes to Bar Man.

I had a Margarita, three actually, at Braeburn's the last time I was there that were made with a light Mezcal. Gave them a nice smokey taste.

Of course there are thousands of recipes for margaritas and more and more tequila based cocktails are popping up. For something different, try a nice anejo (aged) tequila in a brandy snifter and just sip it.

Okay, after giving you my perfect Margarita recipe I had to modify a bit. I went to my local liquor store and not only did they not know that today was National Tequila Day, they were out of Cointreau. Can you imagine that? I ended up buying a bottle of Grand Marnier, which is a good substitute but, ah, what can you do?

The Ingredients


They do carry one of my favorite tequilas, though, Herradura. I usually drink this when I am in Mexico and Esquire magazine just rated it very highly as well. If you are in Mexico, just say air ah doo rah, and try to roll your Rs. Kind of requires you to make a motorboat sound with your tongue.

Most cocktails are best straight up and icy cold so I always like to chill my glasses. Make sure your freezer is turned down as low as you can get it. Unlike boiling water which can only get so hot, ice can get as cold as cold can be. And the colder the better.

Chilling Out And Chilling The Glasses


That gal in the chair always reminds me of my sister, Paula. But that is another story.

With everything assembled I mixed up two Margaritas, one with a salted rim for me and one without for the Mysterious Chinese Woman.

Two Mighty Decent Margaritas


I, of course, had to don my Mexican apparel before sitting back to enjoy the efforts of my work of love.

Drinking Like A Native


Only about six or seven months and I will be back in Mexico again. Next week, however, the Mysterious Chinese Woman and I will be up in Quebec for a couple of weeks to see the International Fireworks Competition. Or at least some of it. It runs for three weeks and we will just be there for two to see three nations display their finest and the grand finale.

2 comments:

michapoake said...

You inspired me to go out and buy some Herradura blanco and I'm now obsessively tweaking my own recipe. Like you, I stick with Cointreau instead of cheap triple sec, but doesn't two parts of it to just one part lime overwhelm the lime and even the tequila? I like Cointreau, but find it makes the margarita oversweet and too orangey at that level. I'm leaning toward 4 parts tequila, 3 parts lime juice, 1 part Cointreau, and a couple dashes of Peychaud's bitters for a touch of New Orleans twist. Cheers.

Bar Man said...

Hey, play with the recipe until you find one you like. I often cheat up on the tequila as well. Sometimes I even use orange juice instead of Cointreau for a lighter "session" Margarita. I also sometimes use half lemon juice and half lime juice. And I also sometimes add bitters, usually Fee Brothers lemon or orange.

Playing with the recipe is half the fun.