Sunday, June 07, 2009

A Different Kind Of Barbecue

The good weather continued today so it was perfect for a barbecue. My friend Bernie picked up the Mysterious Chinese Woman and me and we headed out to our friends Bob and the Lovely Loretta on Long Island.

I had pre-prepared ribs yesterday. I rubbed two racks with a special rub of my own design and used a bottle of Stonewall Kitchen Maple Chipotle Grille Sauce on another. After letting them fester for several hours I put them in the oven and let them sit there for about three hours at about 160 degrees. This just kind of got them started and let the rub and sauce really permeate the meat.

The plan was to finish them of on Bob's gas grill, but another idea presented itself.

Ah, Deep Fried Ribs


The last time we used this was to do a turkey, and that was excellent. This time Bob brought it out to do some buffalo wings and French fries. I figured as long as it was out there we should use it for a bit more than that, and my ribs seemed to fit the bill.

Ready For Their Bath


Barefoot Bob Making The Plunge


Luckily there were no mishaps, and the ribs turned out really well.

The Finished Product


The ribs with the rub did turn out better than the ones with the grille sauce. I don't think the sauce leant itself to deep frying. I would definitely do this again though using just a rub. They turned out really nice. Crispy, but not over-done, and not at all greasy.

The Lovely Loretta And Friend Patti Chowing Down


Bob And The Lovely Loretta's Daughter Emily Doing The Same


And, Of Course, The Mysterious Chinese Woman


Bernie Too, Mustn't Forget Bernie


We had lots of other good stuff as well, hamburgers, brownies, a nice toasted pear and pecan salad, watermelon, plenty of beer and frozen margaritas, pina coladas, and who knows what all. Suffice it to say the barbecue was a smashing success.

No comments: