Friday, July 11, 2008

Nuts, A Brief Digression

By now I am sure you have all heard of Jesse Jackson's politically incorrect comment, "I want to cut his (Obama's) nuts off" that was caught on a hot microphone. Big Whoop. What I find vastly amusing is the way it was reported by the media, and I will use CNN as an example.

First it was said that the comments made by Jesse Jackson were "too vulgar to be aired on prime time television." This, of course, led everyone to wonder just what Jesse had said, but I am sure we all thought it was something a lot more vulgar than "I want to cut his nuts off."

Next, Jesse Jackson's comments were broadcast but, and I find this hilarious, the word "nuts" was bleeped out. I suppose "balls" would have been off-limits as well. Would "testicles" have been acceptable? Gonads, perhaps?

George Carlin, I am sure, is not just turning over in his grave, he is having a belly-laugh.

By the way, I used CNN as an example, but almost every television news program followed this same general protocol.

Another bit of controversy seems to be over whether Jesse said he wanted to cut Obama's nuts "off" or "out." A subtle distinction, perhaps, but I think the later would at least leave Obama's scrotum in place, if not intact.

4 comments:

Kaya Kelly said...

Interesting take on the choice of words - balls, nuts. Perhaps jewels would sound less vulgar, but how does one cut off jewels. I was not shocked by the statement, but I was surprised he ended his sentence with the preposition "off". Shouldn't it be “I want to cut off his nuts”?

Bar Man said...

Good point. And I had always admired Jesse for his command of the English language and grammatical correctness. Oh, wait, that was Jesse Ventura.

davewillie said...

Jackson is nothing more than a black David Duke. When I looked up the word "racist" in the dictionary, their pictures were displayed side-by-by-side.

......................................Marty Freeman said...

Reverend?... not anymore.