Saturday, May 14, 2005

500th AT THE GATE - Part One

I really want to thank everyone who showed up at The Gate to help me celebrate my having a drink at my 500th bar of the year. Many more people than I expected and I am sorry I didn't have more time to talk to each of you. I will certainly try to get back to those of you who left me your names. Hopefully we can hit a few more bars together and have more of a chance to talk. I want to give special thanks to the photographer who followed me around all day trying to get my good side. And to my "good" friend Bernie, who promised he would be there but failed to show, all I can say is "Pffft." There is no excuse for still being hung over at three in the afternoon.

A special thanks to the bartenders, some of the best and friendliest I have encountered to date. I liked being able to taste all the beers (and a very nice selection, indeed) before making a choice.

I didn't have a chance to take notes so my brother-in-law did the honors and once he emails them to me I will post the official entry for my 500th bar. Again, I hope to see many of you in the future, I will try to do something special for my 750th and, certainly, my 1000th bar.

Again, thanks to everyone who showed up. You made a special day even more special by being there.

3 comments:

Stang said...

My hero.

I'm sure you get this a lot, but you're on a pace to drink in your 1,000th bar around September 25th. Are you planning to stretch it out until the end of the year, or cross the finish line as soon as possible?

Continued success,

Tom Peyer

Bar Man said...

My current plan is to hit my 1000th bar on December 4th, which is my birthday. I got off to a fast start but will start to taper off a bit now.

Bar Man said...

Having it at the Beer Garden in Queens is a possibility. I have often wanted to go there. I wouldn't be able to tally up the number of drinks because I haven't been keeping track. Generally it is just one per bar but there are occasions where I do have a few, The Gate, for example. Also I do go back and visit my favorites, particularly the ones in my neighborhod, but I don't record those visits and don't keep track of the drinks.